The risk of lead exposure would only occur if the circular seal on the bottom of the tumbler were to pop off, the company explained in the press release. However, this is considered a rare occurrence, they added. In this event, the consumer would be eligible for the company’s Lifetime Warranty. Still, some individuals are choosing not to purchase the product for fear of lead poisoning (via TODAY). Most hazardous to children, the Cleveland Clinic explains that ingesting high levels of lead could cause symptoms such as cramping, behavioral changes, vomiting, headaches, learning difficulty, and more. For adults, symptoms may also include stomach pain, infertility, low libido, anemia, and numbness in the lower extremities. While there is no cure for lead poisoning, children may be prescribed a chelating agent that helps expel lead in the bloodstream from the body.
Per the TODAY Show video news report, experts emphasize that laboratory testing is more accurate than at-home test kits and is therefore considered a more reliable source of lead detection.